Monday, March 25, 2013

Beetle wings!


So at Beadfest I found a new material to work with...beetle wings from the Sternocera aequistignata beetle!  I have not had so much fun making earrings in a long time.  I decided to keep it simple, something I can have a hard time with from time to time, because I thought the wings should speak for themselves. I used my new favorite tool, my Euro Punch metal hole puncher, to make the holes, and placement was easy because there is a natural discolored round dot at the top of the wing where it looks like a hole is just supposed to go.  I also used my wire snips to cut off the gross little ridge at the top of the wing just for aesthetic purposes.  Then I stuck a jump ring through the hole and put the jump ring on the ear wire...Voila!...a gorgeous pair of earrings!





The use of these wings in adornment is an ancient practice in Asia, especially Thailand, and is now becoming more and more popular here in the West.  The beetle symbolizes many different things, including rebirth, stability, practicality, and groundedness.  According to the Symbolic Meanings Blog by Avia Venefica, "They move with bellies always close to the earth, and so their wisdom is sacred and deep."

So anyway, my new earrings are available in my Etsy Shop at https://www.etsy.com/shop/ErikawithaKDesigns.  They measure approximately 1 1/2 to 2" in length (including the ear wires).

No comments:

Post a Comment