Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Happiest Baby DVD

So I go to my local CareNet Pregnancy Center every week for their Earn While You Learn program, something I highly recommend for anyone who is pregnant or has a child under a year.  Today my lesson was on the Happiest Baby on the Block DVD, which would probably have been the greatest advice I ever got about my baby if she was still under 3 months.  The founder, Dr. Harvey Karp, explains probably the fastest way to calm a crying infant through what he calls the calming reflex and the 5 S's...swaddling, side/stomach, shushing, swinging, and sucking.  He shows how to properly swaddle a baby.  I tried his method and it actually works!  He also shows how to properly "shush" a baby (lol) as well as how to teach them to take a pacifier.  My daughter is already 6 months so these methods probably will not work for her anymore, but I did take away some valuable tips.  If you are pregnant or have a newborn I definitely recommend you watch this video or read the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment