Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Playing with Resin....

A year ago I bought a tube of Ice brand resin and finally took it out last month.  I think I have found a new love!  Resin can be touchy, and if not mixed properly will yield a forever sticky yet hard, impossible to remove substance, but when used properly creates really professional looking work from the beginning.  Just make sure to follow the directions to a T and be prepared to fail sometimes.  The first time I tried, despite the directions, I ended up with a beautiful collage in a large oval bezel that now is collecting dust, hair, and fingerprints.  Make sure when you try this for the first time you use materials that are not expensive or important to you!  Save those for when you know what you are doing....

My second round turned out great!  I made a whole series of hummingbird collage pendants with little flat-backed crystals. Pouring the resin over these crystals created a really neat effect, making them look flat.  Some bubbles and imperfections are unavoidable with this medium (at least I think!), but I feel this adds to the uniqueness of each piece.  Here are the necklaces from my 2nd try:

Click to buy!
Click to Buy!
Click for Listing!
Click to Purchase!


Click for Etsy Listing!


I also made resin papers, but I will leave that for another day and another post!



No comments:

Post a Comment