Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Great Product Photos on a Budget Series, #1--Light Box Tutorial

If you are trying to sell or show your work online, you MUST begin with good photos!  And you don't need an expensive DSLR camera or photography studio to take them. All you need is a simple point and shoot camera, a free editing program like Picasa, a good light source (either sunlight or, even better, a couple halogen lamps), and a light box, which you can make yourself.  Here's how you do it:

Light Box Tutorial:

Here shows the 3 sides cut out and the background taped in.
Materials:

Cardboard Box
Marker and Ruler
Box Cutters
Tissue Paper
Tape
White or Black paper or cloth

1.  Cut the flaps off the top of your box and tape the bottom of the box shut.  The top will become the opening and the bottom will become the back of your light box.

My tissue paper was too small so I used 2 pieces and taped them together.  



2.  Using the ruler and marker, on 3 sides of the box make straight lines to cut an inch or so away from the edges of the box.  This is to create the cut out areas on the top and sides as shown.  Make the lines on the inside of the box for easier cutting. 

3.  Cut out the sides along your marked lines on each of the 3 sides.  Place the side you are cutting on the floor and cut on the inside of the box to prevent bowing of the box. 

4.  Cover each cut out with tissue paper cut to size, and tape down.  You may need to use more than one piece depending on how big your paper and the holes are.  Tape the pieces down as best you can. 

5.  Tape or pin your background paper (you may need more than one piece taped together) or cloth to the inside top back of the box so that it hangs on the back and floor of the light box as a background for your photos. 

How easy is that!?  You can see my light box is well loved.  It has made my photography process so much easier by reducing glare, creating the ideal light, and reducing my editing time.

Once your light box is finished set it near a window for natural light and/or put lamps on either side.  Halogen lamps like my OttoLite on the right are perfect for producing true to life colors, but almost any strong light will work.

I use white for my backgrounds because I can't seem to get a good photo with a black background, but I recommend you experiment to see which color works better for you and your products.  

My Light Studio!

I have tacks on hand to hang clear fishing wire to the back for hanging earrings on or tacking up different backgrounds.   

I don't photograph big objects so my one small box works fine.  But if you take photos of a variety of products, I recommend making 2 or more sizes of light box.





The photo of my mask below was taken with my light box using the techniques described in this series.  Check back for more tips on how to use a point and shoot camera and how to edit photos using Picasa!
This photo was taken with my light box!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this tutorial it was extremely helpful! I built my own box and it turned out great. My photos look ten times better than before. Nice and bright and the small details in my jewelry really pops out now. I haven't tried using the lamps yet but natural light worked out perfect. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhiannon--I'm glad you're finding success with the light box from my tutorial! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete