Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Weekly Artist/Etsy Seller Feature--Rhiannon Skelton of Rhiannon's Jewelry!

Before I tell you about this week's feature, I would love to thank Reine of Koya for being such a gracious, amazing featured artist!  Again, I wish you great success!

Adjustable Blue and Gold Seed Beaded Choker and Necklace

Adjustable Blue and Gold Seed Beaded Choker

This brings me to this week's featured artist and Etsy seller.  Her name is Rhiannon, and she is the owner of Rhiannon's Jewelry.   I chose Rhiannon for this week's feature because not only does she have very beautiful jewelry with a simple, clean aesthetic, she also is a very humble and sweet person, whom I have really come to like personally.  She is a real woman, a mother, wife, and homemaker, and this is noticeable in every aspect of her Etsy store. And Rhiannon is always striving to improve.  When I wrote my product photography tutorials, she was one of my first readers to make the light box to improve her photos.  The photo above is an example.  Didn't she do a great job?!

Adjustable Green Beaded Wire Wrapped Charm Ring with Silver Pendant and Green Stones
Adjustable Green Wire Wrapped Charm Ring

My personal favorites out of Rhiannon's jewelry are her bead weaving pieces, including the one above.  But when it comes to jewelry making, Rhiannon is an explorer.  She is always trying new techniques and media, resulting in a wide variety of  beautiful pieces.  She says in her Etsy profile, "I provide handmade jewelry that is fun, creative and original. There is a little something for everyone as the styles and themes of my jewelry tend to be diverse."  This is something I can relate to.  There are just so many amazing possibilities in jewelry, its hard to stick with just one!  




Rhiannon was gracious enough to answer an interview for me, so I will let her tell you more! 

Adjustable Amethyst Stone Fine Silver Hemp Bracelet
Adjustable Amethyst Stone Fine Silver Hemp Bracelet
Erika with a K--Can you tell me a little about you?


Rhiannon--I am 25 years old, married and have an 18 month old son. I was in Army for six years but got out when I had my son so I could stay home with him. Right now I live in Hawaii, but we are on our way to somewhere new, not sure where yet.


Erika with a K--When did you start making jewelry and how did you learn?

Rhiannon--I started making jewelry about three years ago when I first came to Hawaii. Everything was so expensive and I would look at all the jewelry and would say, “I bet I can do that”. My first pair of earrings were made from a cheap Wal-Mart DIY kit and I was hooked. After that I read a dozen books, magazines and online tutorials to learn different techniques.



Erika with a K--What is you main motivation for making jewelry?


Rhiannon--At first, I did it to save money (that plan back fired a bit). Now, I love learning new techniques and it keeps me busy since I stay at home.


Erika with a K--I noticed you use a diverse range of media in your jewelry. Do you have a favorite?


Rhiannon--I think seed beads are my favorite to work with but I love all different types of jewelry and I don’t like to be tied down to one style. I am also real excited about getting into bead embroidery, I have so many ideas I can’t wait to try.


Erika with a K--Do you do any other form of art?

Rhiannon--Sometimes I do small craft projects for my son or around the house. I occasionally crochet or cross-stitch because I always need to keep my hands busy, they just can’t sit still!



Erika with a K--Though you are fairly new to Etsy like I am, I’m sure you have learned some things about the business of selling hand made stuff. What tips can you give us?


Rhiannon--Have patience, don’t get discouraged and keep improving. I try to keep realistic goals when it comes to my shop and to remain positive. I am always fixing something in my shop, either photos (which you have been a big help with) or items descriptions, etc., there is always room for improvement. It is also important to remember to have fun with it!


Erika with a K--Do you sell only on Etsy or do you have other avenues?

Green and Orange Beaded Statement Necklace with Tree Branch Pendant
Green and Orange Statement Necklace with Tree Branch Pendant
Rhiannon--Right now I only sell on Etsy, but as I learn more about the online business world I might branch out.


Erika with a K--Do you have another job besides selling?

Rhiannon--Right now my only other job is to take care of my son and school work (I am one class away from a two degree in General Studies).

Erika with a K--As many of us know, branding is so important when selling our hand made stuff, and a big part of branding is the YOU behind the work. What else can you tell us to get a better understanding about you, your jewelry, or your business?




Rhiannon--I am a very easygoing person and I have a broad outlook on what I like. My jewelry tends to reflect different types and styles because I appreciate more than just one category. I get most of my ideas for designs from what I see around me; since I live on the beautiful island of Oahu I have tons of inspiration. Taking an assorted amount of beads and stones and turning them into something pretty and wearable is my ultimate goal for my jewelry.
Wire Wrapped Red Gem and Beaded Dangle Earrings
Wire Wrapped Red Gem Beaded Dangle Earrings

Thanks so much Rhiannon!   I wish you lots of luck with your business, and hope your upcoming move goes well, ending in a place you find as inspiring as your current home of Hawaii!
 
Please visit Rhiannon at the links below:




And please remember all photos are copyrighted and property of the artist.  Please do not use them without her permission!

2 comments:

  1. Really good feature - five stars!Rhiannon's jewelry is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Rhiannon is a really sweet and talented person, and I was glad to feature her!

    ReplyDelete