Monday, April 29, 2013

Craft Fair Tips from My Experience April 27 and 28

This weekend I participated in The Flea on Saturday and the Artisan's Market on Sunday, both at the Railyard in Santa Fe, NM.  So far I have not had good luck at any of these I participate in, including this weekend, but at least I have always made my money back.  And I have never regretted doing them.  I had been asking for abundance heavily in the last week or so, but I failed to specify financial abundance, so I received this in other ways, like knowledge and connection to others, which I have to say are better than money!

The first day was at the Flea so I could sell things that are not hand made.  I had my vintage jewelry and china out with my hand made jewelry.  A word of advice...when selling at flea markets and craft fairs, don't clutter up your table!  People need to see exactly what you are selling from a distance.  And the customers at flea markets are much different from art or craft fairs.  The former tends to be only looking for a bargain while the latter has much more appreciation for the work you put into your art.  But that doesn't mean I don't recommend flea markets!  It really depends on the city, the day, and the particular venue.

Also, being friendly is a huge way to gain traffic and sales!   You don't have to think of yourself as a "salesperson",  just be yourself!  Say "Hi" to anyone walking by and give compliments.  Starting a conversation with someone will bring them closer to your booth for longer.  I had a prime example of this on  Saturday at The Flea.  A very lovely girl walked close to my booth, and I said "Hi" and complimented her on the flowers she was wearing in her hair.  Because of this, she stepped closer.  After looking she gasped, and had to buy a vintage glass with an orange slice motif (one I bought last week at Goodwill...didn't even have a chance to shoot it!  The matching carafe is pictured here).  This had been an item she broke recently,  an event that was a really "emotional experience" for her.  And whats crazy is she was just telling the man she was with about it that morning!  It felt amazing to make someone so happy!

Chalkboard for displaying necklaces

On Sunday I had an even better day!  My booth was set up beautifully, and I met lots of wonderful people, including 2 sisters who talked with us for about a half hour and took our cards.   And I had another example of being friendly leading to a sale.  A young man walked past wearing an Invader Zim T-shirt, which I HAD to comment on because I love that cartoon.  The guy then walked up to my booth, looked at everything, and told his mom to come look which lead to a sale!  So I cannot stress enough just how important it is to be engaged and friendly with customers.  Don't just sit and read a book the whole time.
 Different displays

If you missed me at the craft fairs this weekend don't worry...most of my stuff (and more!) is available in my Etsy shop...https://www.etsy.com/shop/ErikawithaKDesigns?ref=seller_info 

Set up different display areas for different items or styles of items. See how the bead embroidery is separated from the other types of  jewelry with the black cloth?

So in addition to having a fun weekend with my friends and meeting new people, I had my second celebrity encounter ever in the span of 2 weeks!  This time Giovanni Ribisi (probably most famously from Avatar) was just walking around, and since my good, and very outgoing, friend Diane was there she drug me over to him to say hello and take a picture.  I was so embarrassed, but now I have a memory to last a lifetime!  He's pretty cute isn't he?  For anyone here in Santa Fe who wants a sighting, he is here filming "A Million Ways to Die in the West". 

Me and Giovanni Ribisi...I LOVE Santa Fe!


5 comments:

  1. Wow! I think your display looks really nice and inviting. And that story about the woman finding the carafe from you and making her happy - That is worth more than money. I'm so glad you had a good time and hope your business increases because you are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jazzy! I appreciate all your help, encouragement, and positive vibes!

      Delete
  2. Really good flea market tips. And I have to say your blog great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way LOVE Gianni RIbisi. I think he is underrated as an actor. Just saw him on an x-files episode. He is pretty cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CJ I agree about Giovanni! He is really great, but most people don't know his name or even who he is. And thanks for the nice comments!

    ReplyDelete