Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Weekly Blogger Feature #1--JazzJodi

Because my blog is all about connecting with and getting to know up and coming bloggers, artists, crafters, designers, thrifters, Etsy sellers, etc, I have decided to start a weekly feature. 

This week's featured blogger, thrifter, and Etsy seller is JazzJodi of JazzJodi Vintage! This lady has a serious love of vintage!  And what I love about her blog is that we get so see all of her escapades at the thrift store in a photo format.  Her "photo essays" as she calls them take her readers into her world, so much so that I felt like I was in the thrift store with her! 

And then after reading about her finds, her readers can go directly to her Etsy shop and buy them!  Isn't that is what Etsy is all about?  Knowing the story behind the item you are buying and where it comes from is vintage shopping at its finest in my opinion.  Her shop is filled with beautiful vintage clothing, shoes, home decor, and kitchen gadgets. 

JazzJodi's blog is fairly new, there are many indications of dedication and good things to come.  She has not only her photo essays, but also great information on how to identify your vintage clothing and a forum where a community of her thrifty readers can come together and discuss their own finds. 

And JazzJodi is a real person with a real life!  Here is her bio from her about site:

  
"I live in Virginia near the beautiful ocean. I have a MFA in creative writing, fiction, and I teach at a university in the fall. Between writing fiction and teaching and raising my daughters, I am a thrift-o-holic. I love searching for vintage - everything! I can never decided what I love more, vintage clothing or home decor. So, why pick one over the other? No way!

To me, vintage clothing is beautiful and constructed with such quality that is not often seen now-a-days in a get-it-now consumer society. Often, I feel like I've found a piece of art work when I find a shirt, dress, purse, or shoes, and I can't wait to share it with the right buyer who will love the clothing as much as I loved finding that item. Now that I buy vintage clothing for my Etsy store, I am no longer restricted to buying clothing for myself or my girls, so I buy everything from a small to plus sizes.

Home decor is my weakness and ceramics is at the top of my list. I cannot resist art pottery, mainly drip glaze -- cups, plates, vases, pitchers, and more. I also really love unique items and often bring home strange pieces that require a lot of research, but it's worth the time. I love learning about a variety of vintage home decor items and vintage clothing to discover its history, which to me is like a story. Sometimes, I stand in a thrift store and think to myself, "Okay, who wants to come home with me and tell a story?" I know this adventure of searching for vintage and learning about the past is what keeps me buying and selling.

But where does the jazz in jazzjodi come from? When I was young, I used to listen to jazz records all the time. I loved vocal jazz like Billy Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald and big bands. I felt like I had been born in the wrong decade. I wanted to go back in time and dance and sing (I still do)." 
 

Follow Jazzjodi on many social media sites below:
 

 




1 comment:

  1. Erika, Thank you so much. What a wonderful article and honor for me. Jodi

    ReplyDelete